A dried lasagna doesn’t mean it’s spoiled. You can reheat lasagna to revive its freshness, taste, and flavor.
Dry lasagna is not palatable, and people keep asking, “Can you microwave lasagna to revive its greatness?”
Here’s a segment that explains whether it’s microwavable or not.
Can You Microwave Lasagna?
Yes. You can reheat lasagna in the microwave using a microwave-safe plate until it attains an internal temperature of 165℉. It’s as efficient as how you microwave McDonald’s Burger so long as it’s done properly.
It is fast and convenient, provided you follow the tips we discuss below to avoid drying it up.
Proper timing is necessary to avoid burning or exploding lasagna in the microwave.
Maintaining its moist quality is the real deal that calls for keen caution while microwaving lasagna.
Microwaving lasagna will save you from long hours of waiting and washing too many utensils.
Below are the steps for microwaving lasagna in a microwave:
Related: Can you microwave luncheon meat?
How to Reheat Lasagna in the Microwave?
Lasagna has many thick layers hence reheating it in the microwave calls for proper caution lest you end up with a dried crust.
You will preserve the original taste and texture if you follow these steps while reheating lasagna in the microwave:
- Transfer frozen lasagna from its storage container to a microwave-safe plate, preferably glass or ceramic, since they can withstand high microwave heat.
- Ensure ample space between the slices to allow adequate heating. Don’t overstack lasagna slices.
- Splash a liquid on the top surface of your lasagna (water, broth, or sauce).
- Pierce a toothpick in the middle to keep the layers intact without sliding off.
- Use a paper towel to cover your lasagna. It traps hot steam that keeps the lasagna top moist.
- Set your appliance on high power and microwave for 90 seconds.
- Use a kitchen thermometer to confirm the internal temperature of your lasagna; it should be 165℉ or 74℃.
- Use chef’s gloves to remove the hot plate from the microwave to avoid burning your hands.
- Leave lasagna to sit on the tabletop for a minute before serving. It helps to complete reheating process for even results.
Best Tips to Keep Lasagna Moist When Reheating in the Microwave
Here is how you maintain a moist lasagna when reheating it in the microwave:
- Ensure proper storage. Ensure you freeze lasagna as soon as it cools off before the air dries off its moisture.
- Splash a preferred liquid on its surface before reheating.
- Use a paper towel or a plastic wrapper to cover the lasagna to trap moisture, than let it evaporate.
- Check the timer because excessive heating dries off the moisture present.
How Long Does It Take To Reheat Lasagna in the Microwave?
It takes 1.5 minutes to reheat a standard lasagna slice in the microwave on high power.
Thick lasagna slices take longer to heat under the same conditions.
You should place the slices as a single layer without stacking them to allow hot air circulation and microwave penetration.
Too many slices will slow down the process and cause uneven hot spots in the lasagna slices.
Leaving lasagna slices in the microwave longer raises the microwave heat, which further causes drying up and possible burning.
Overheating cheese could also cause an explosion in the microwave.
You should turn off the appliance as soon as your lasagna slice attains the recommended safe temperature of 165℉.
Tips You Must Remember When Reheating Lasagna in the Microwave
Follow these microwave tips to get an evenly-heated, moist, and fresh lasagna with an original flavorful taste:
- Use a microwave-safe plate that can withstand high microwave heat without melting or warping.
- Place the slices as a single layer to ensure enough space between them.
- Wrap your lasagna with a paper towel to trap steam that makes it moist.
- Slash some water on the outer layer to boost its moisture content.
- Set your appliance to high power to ensure your lasagna attains an internal temperature of 165℉.
- Reheat fewer slices ago because overloading the appliance slows the reheating process.
- Stick to 1.5 minutes of heating time to prevent excessive drying and burning of your snack.
- Use a toothpick to keep the lasagna layers intact and prevent the paper towel from wiping off the cheese.
What is the Best Way to Reheat Lasagna? (Reheating Lasagna in a Convection Oven)
There are several factors to consider before deciding on a method to reheat your cold lasagna:
- The size you want to heat.
- The time you intend to spend.
- The equipment you have
- The quality you want for your lasagna
Microwaves work best when you intend to reheat a slice or two of lasagna but are only convenient for some of the ones.
It takes 90 seconds to reheat lasagna in the microwave and 45 minutes to reheat the same lasagna in the oven. Microwaves are fast as opposed to a convection ovens.
Reheating Lasagna in a Convection Oven
Here are the simple steps for reheating lasagna in an oven:
- Defrost frozen lasagna to reduce reheating time and ensure even heating.
- Unwrap the lasagna from its storage container and sprinkle some water to keep it moist.
- Place it on an oven-safe dish.
- Preheat your oven to 375℉.
- Cover with foil to keep the moisture intact and trap the heat. It speeds up the heating process.
- Place it on the middle layer to receive heat from the oven’s upper and lower sides.
- Leave it to cook until you hear a sizzling sound that signals it’s thoroughly reheated.
- Use a kitchen thermometer to confirm that it has attained the recommended internal temperature of 165℉.
- Leave the reheated lasagna in the oven for a few minutes before serving it. It allows even heating and eliminates uneven spots.
To Wrap It Up
You can reheat a cold lasagna in the microwave and restore its original taste, moisture and
The tips and tricks discussed above and proper caution will keep it moist and fresh.
You must use a microwave-safe plate and stick to 1.5 minutes on high power to ensure it attains the recommended internal temperature without burning.