The weather is cooling down, and you are constantly craving for a hot bowl of soup.
You have leftover soup in a mug stored in the refrigerator that needs to be reheated.
Reheating leftover soup is an easy way of transforming it into a hot, nutritious delicacy within minutes.
So, can you microwave soup in a mug? Is it safe?
Can You Microwave Soup In a Mug?
Yes, you can microwave soup in a mug.
Though it requires safety measures to avoid your soup exploding in the microwave.
Is It Safe To Microwave Soup In a Mug?
Yes, it is safe to microwave soup in a mug, just ensure that the mug doesn’t have any metallic parts because the metal might form sparks that will destroy your appliance.
Ensure that the mug you are using is labeled microwave-safe.
How Long Can You Microwave Soup In a Mug?
If heating homemade soup, reheat it for approximately one minute.
The exact time depends on how much soup you are reheating.
Stir every 30 seconds.
Steps Of Microwaving Soup In a Mug
Here are some easy steps to reheat soup in a mug.
1. Use a microwave-safe mug.
Glass or ceramic mugs work best, but you can use any mug that has been labeled microwave-safe.
2. Heat uncovered.
Never heat foods with an airtight lid or a snap-locking cover.
3. Place the soup in the microwave.
It is more convenient to place it at the center of the microwave to heat it more rapidly and evenly.
4. Leave a toothpick inside to break the tension on the surface, which helps prevent the superheating explosion.
5. Heat soup in intervals of 30 seconds while stirring to promote even heating.
6. Cautiously tap the mug to check for superheating.
7. Carefully remove the mug.
Use hot mitts to avoid burns from the hot cup or soup splashing out of the narrow container.
Safety Measures Required Before Reheating Soup In a Mug
Using caution is important to avoid an explosion of soup in the microwave.
So exercise caution and follow the following safety measures:
1. Ensure the mug you are using is a microwave-safe mug.
2. Never place an empty mug in the microwave without any soup.
The cup may overheat and explode without having any liquid in it to absorb the microwave’s energy.
3. Confirm the mug does not contain any metal parts.
Metals are not safe as they may trigger sparks that can damage the appliance.
4. Heat in short 30-second intervals and stir frequently to promote even heating.
6. Reheat soup to 165 degrees F following safe food handling guidelines.
How To Cook Hot and Sour Soup In a Mug
Hot and sour soup is a popular Chinese soup that can be easily made in a microwave.
It requires the following steps:
1. A microwave-safe mug that can hold at least 20 oz of liquid.
2. Start by making the broth. Flavor the broth with soy sauce, rice vinegar, and chili oil.
Mix, taste, and adjust as needed.
3. Then add the tofu and mushrooms.
4. Cook for three minutes until the mushrooms are cooked.
5. While stirring the soup add in the cornstarch slurry. Then drizzle in the egg. Stir the broth for a few minutes until you see the egg ribbons.
6. Cook the soup for an additional minute until the soup thickens and the egg is fully cooked.
7. Remove from the microwave and serve when hot.
Why Does Soup Explode In The Microwave?
To understand why soup explodes in the microwave, you must start by understanding superheating.
Superheating liquid in the microwave is a phenomenon where extremely hot liquids are trapped underneath layers with cooler temperatures.
Steam vapor builds up under pressure and is trapped below the surface tension, which can lead to a dangerous explosion of severely hot liquid.
Therefore it is very important to place foods in the center of the microwave so that the heat is more evenly distributed.
A wooden stick should be left inside to break the surface tension which prevents superheating.
Remember to stir the soup frequently while heating at a 30 to 60-second interval to evenly distribute the heat.
How To Cook Chicken Noodle Soup In a Mug
A hot mug of chicken noodle soup is comforting especially when you are feeling a bit under the weather.
Here are the steps you require:
1. Mix carrots, scallions, chicken, noodles, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Ensure the noodles are cooked before mixing.
2. Transfer the contents to the mug and place it in the microwave.
3. Cover with a loose lid and microwave for seven minutes until the vegetables are tender.
4. Remove from the microwave and you can garnish with parsley or dill.
5. Serve when hot.
People Also Ask
Can You Reheat Soup In a Mug?
Yes, you can reheat soup in a microwave. Do it in 60-second shifts for approximately 3 minutes for better results.
How Do You Reheat Soup In a Mug Without Exploding?
Cook thick soup or stew at lower power while stirring them to distribute heat evenly and to break the surface tension to avoid an explosion.
Is It Ok To Put a Mug In The Microwave?
Materials like ceramics or glass are usually safe to use in the microwave because they do not contain water and the electrons are not free to move around.
Can a Mug Withstand Heat In The Microwave?
Most coffee mugs can hold hot liquids up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit but porcelain mugs can withstand greater temperatures of up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
If the mug is made out of stoneware, any type of temperature can be handled.
Microwaving soup in a mug is safe. Remember to check the microwave-safe label before putting it in the microwave.
You can also cook different soup recipes in a mug. You just have to use the right recipe and follow the instructions.
Even though mugs can’t hold a large amount of soup they are preferable especially when you are living alone.